Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Storm Blog

I think the story “The Storm” had a nice way of letting the readers think to what is really good and what is bad. Though most of the class thought that what Calixta did was bad, I think they are influenced by the religion that they have which is Catholic. They keep saying that “you should be faithful to the partner” which again shows how greatly religion has affected them and not only them but me too and that is situated in society today. Good and bad is defined by religion and I think that is why people think that even if I they did something wrong and others did not find it out, it is considered bad. For me arguing that what Calixta did was wrong is hard. Our professor makes a very good point that as long as no one knows and everyone is happy, it is good. Which makes me already think twice on what is really good, it does make sense and it is so easy to grasp. But what makes me think is that I will always feel guilty if I were in Calixta or Alcee. That’s the flaw that what I thought of with the story. Even if it is good, there is always this guilt that you can never get rid of. No matter what religion you have or none at all, you still have that guilt build up inside you unless you are a psychopath or a sociopath. Despite that what you did is good and no one else was hurt, there is this guilt in real life and it was not mentioned in the story. Though I am wondering if guilt considered a bad thing if you felt it. Would guilt make a good thing bad if it was felt by the doer? For me yes if guilt was already in place is already considered a bad thing. The story was unique in paralleling the storm to their sex scene. At first I didn’t think that they were having sex and was only kissing. The second walkthrough made me think that what is the lighting have to do with the kissing scene and then there was a “aha ” moment that they are already having sex and orgasm. Though I am wondering is this girl Calixta like a whore or just not being sexually satisfied or just likes being turned on by this fantasy she has. She actually reminded me about a TV series “Walking Dead” about the character “Lori”.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the idea that if ever Calixta and Alcee feel guilt, it is already considered as bad since sir darcy said that Good = Happiness. I'm also thinking that Calixta just want a fubu. Lol

    ReplyDelete