Monday, November 4, 2013

Ang Paglilitis ni Mang Serapio

Ang paglilitis ni Mang Serapio was a very beautiful poem because for me it had simple words which I had understood clearly unlike previous poems and dramas. Though I did not see the allusion of the story to Oedipus the king, I was still able to admire its story and its meaning. I believed that this kind of injustice is exaggerated because this kind of trial is no longer evident in today’s society. I didn’t quite get though why the 2nd na tagapagtanong was always repeating, I first thought that it was to add a more intense setting and emotion because I thought that this character , the 2nd na tagapagtanong was like finishing each other’s sentence and making the emotion more intense by repeating the dialogues. I do not believe though that the senseless characters or stories are bad for dramas and stories because they add to the emotion of the story. Example is this poem. I had imagined that the 2nd tagapagtanong was actually crucial because it adds emotion and anger of the court to Mag Serapio. If he wasn’t there I would have thought that the court was just another simple case where attorneys are asking some questions which didn’t really add any emotion to the drama. Imagine just one guy only asking Mang Serapio , would you have none for a fact that the court was angry at Mang Serapio for a crime? For me I don’t think that would have been the case. And also I think that mang Serapio indeed had a hamartia because he won’t let go of the fact that his daughter is dead. Look at people around you who had experienced a lost loved one. Do you see them substituting them for a thing or a doll? No right, all of them have moved on at some point in time and have normally mourned for their lost. Mang Serapio for me did have a hamartia and it was his weakness of not letting go. And not letting go is actually a moral misconduct because it seperates you from the real world and to the world that you want it to be. Though I am not saying that Mang Serapio is insane, he had a weakness and his weakness was his attitude of not being able to let go of the things that can’t be returned to normal that for me is a weakness that I thought that made Mang Serapio weak.

1 comment:

  1. Same! Out of all the poems and plays that we have tackled, for me this was the easiest to understand because it was so straightforward

    ReplyDelete